3D Comp · Uncategorized

5×5

In designing five different types of modules, I wanted to try and work with shapes that weren’t necessarily the most conventional, at least I mean I would avoid having completely closed prisms. Having an opening creates a whole new set of ways for a type of module to interact with itself, in the way that if there had been a wall where the space is opened up, you couldn’t have placed a corner of that module within it to make it something completely different. So that’s where I started. I made a three point triangular pyramid without a base plane and created the composition you see in the bottom far right photograph. I’ve learned that it is very fun to spin and throw in the air. Just to the left of that picture you can see the composition I made next, built with modules created from the scraps of my first design. Its nothing fancy, just triangles rolled into cones with spiky points, but they can curve when placed within each other, and eventually it started looking like antlers to me, so that is what I came up with.

My third design, second from the left on the bottom row, was approached from a different direction. Instead of using a module in a primarily three dimensional shape, I took a flat pinwheel cut out and curved its points like you would with ribbon on a birthday present. Then one by one I layered them to get this sort of flowery lily-pad looking composition. It lifts off the table so it isn’t entirely grounded, which is another challenge I was excited to work with.

Carrying on from that point, my fourth design, far left bottom row and top row far right, Was created with the goal in mind to get it off the table somehow. I attempted to glue the individual cone shaped modules in a way that they would slowly curve off the table like a waterfall, similar to my second design, but that simply didn’t work, so I scratched that and went for the opposite direction: Up. My modules were simple, just squares folded in half diagonally and notched at the center. But when they are glued together in pairs at their points then linked together like puzzle pieces, it can achieve something I now like to call a butterfly chain. Once it was stable and completed, It looked as if a butterfly had left a trail of its liftoff from the ground. I really like it.

I don’t have any individual pictures for my fifth design but you can see it pictured among the others in the first picture. I revisited the cone modules from earlier when I had the idea to focus on the use of their external connections as opposed to their internal ones. I started by gluing them together to make a prism that had two points extending from a circular midpoint, which is a complicated way of saying I made a spinning top. Then I ended up building what I can only describe as a really weird city skyline. I laid a foundation then carefully placed these new shapes directly on top of one another, point to point.

I’m proud of myself for varying the type of module design I used, and then varying the type of composition that came after. Despite my tendency to gravitate toward radial symmetry, I pushed past that boundary three out of five times and came up with my two favorite designs that way. I think I’ve definitely learned a lot since working with the toothpaste tubes. I think though that if I had another week, or even just another weekend, I would want to push myself further with module design. I would like to see if I can make modules that are not only attractive in a group but as individual pieces as well. Maybe we will expound more on this project. I certainly won’t mind if we do.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s